Gas leaks are dangerous and according to statistics in the last year more than 30 people died from it and over thousand injuries happened as well. Therefore, it is important to understand what you have to do so that you can prevent the gas leakage inside your home.
The most common reason for gas leaks is due to badly maintained, faulty, or improperly installed appliances such as cookers and boilers. As soon as these appliances become defective, gas will escape from the hose and enter your home..
It is vital to call professionals for a gas leak in Houston so that you can rest assured and prevent the fatality. Of course, prevention is much better than fixing the faulty appliance, which is why you should know what to do in the case that you notice it.
You should have in mind that older appliances tend to be more problematic, which is why it is important to find a new one and to avoid buying second-hand appliances, even though they are a more affordable solution than new ones.
Leakage of gas can easily cause carbon monoxide poisoning, explosions, and fire especially if you neglect this particular problem.
How to Detect a Gas Leak?
The most significant sign that gas leak is happening in your home is the smell of the gas. In case that you start feeling unwell and dizzy, then you should go outside as soon as possible, because it is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. Other signs are:
- The gas rings and pilot lights on your cooker are yellow or orange, and not blue
- The boiler’s pilot light tends to blow out
- You found scorched or soot area on the outside of appliances
- You find more condensation on your windows than usual
What to Do In Case Of Gas Leakage?
In case that you notice that your home has a gas leak, you should:
- Turn off the gas supply, but if you are not sure where the valve is, you should call a professional and remember the location for the next time it happens.
- Avoid using electrical devices as well as mobile phones, using matches, smoking or burning candles, because fire can easily ignite the gas and cause fire and explosion.
- Open all doors and windows so that air could circulate
- Call emergency service that will help you prevent the havoc
If you do not know what you should do when you notice leakage of carbon monoxide, you should visit this link: https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/help-and-support/Emergencies/Gas-emergencies.
How to Prevent Gas Leaks?
- Check Your Appliances – The first and main way to ensure that everything is perfect is by conducting thorough inspections of your appliances on a regular basis. Even though they look like they are in good condition, you should check around to see signs of tear and wear.
- Check The Signs – You will notice if there is a gas leak if you find the smell of gas in various areas around your household. You should also check for appliances whether they have burnt look and soot. In case that your boiler runs on the blue flame, you should call a professional as soon as possible.
- Monitor Your Gas Lines – The best way to prevent gas leaks is by calling experts on a regular basis that will inspect and conduct a comprehensive report of your gas appliances. That way, you can rest assured and make sure that everything runs smoothly.
- Gas Safety Documents – By checking old gas safety documents, you will see whether everything is installed properly and whether appliances have documents that will prove the safeness when it comes to using. You should always call experts and certified professionals to install them correctly because that way you will prevent harmful gas leaks that could cause problems to your family and yourself.
- Open Windows – If you think that gas leak is happening, you should open doors and windows so that carbon monoxide could get out of the house. We recommend you to avoid using electronic devices because gas is flammable and can cause potential explosion and disaster.
- Avoid Flicking Light Switches – When it comes to avoiding electricity during the gas leak, we also have to mention that by flicking light switches you can create a spark that will lead to fire or explosion.