Redoing your kitchen is easy. And depending on how much you want to spend, it can be a big job or a little job. Follow these tips to get started.
1. Details: Maybe you don’t want to do a comprehensive re-design of your kitchen. In that case, some new switch plates and kitchen cabinet knobs can add a contemporary splash to your kitchen.
2. Appliances: Invest in some new appliances to make an inconvenient kitchen a place of plenty. Toaster ovens, tea kettles and microwaves are just a couple of appliances that when updated with contemporary styling can make your kitchen look newer. Bigger appliances like dishwashers, stoves, and refrigerators are more expensive, but will do a lot for the aesthetic of your kitchen.
3. Paint: A new paint color will make your kitchen look brand new, with new life and energy to spare. Follow the 60-30-10 rule, which dictates the percentages of each color you should have on your walls, cabinets, and countertops.
4. Lights: Choose new light bulbs to make your kitchen feel warmer and more like home. A floor lamp can also do a lot to improve the lighting in your kitchen. New fixtures can also do a lot to add new style to your kitchen. Install a fluorescent bulb underneath the cabinets for an subtly elegant accent.
5. Cabinets: Cabinets are a big part of your kitchen. If yours are old and greasy, you can refinish them, paint them, resurface them, or rip them off and go for the open shelf style.
6. Molding: Trim that goes where the cabinets meet the ceiling is a great filigree to add to any kitchen. It usually costs anywhere from $100 to $500 to buy a miter saw, which allows you to have the molding flush with the cabinets, but you can also do it yourself if you buy a hand saw and some tools. Paint the molding to match your kitchen cabinet knobs and doors and then fill in the nail holes with wood putty.
7. Art: Choose new artworks to decorate your kitchen. Included are small area rugs to hold the place in front of the kitchen sink. That little bit of texture will make you feel more relaxed when you’re washing dishes.
8. Island: Maybe you want a huge redesign of your kitchen. The island is a great addition because it allows for chopping space, eating space (with stools), and even an extra sink if you’re willing to go big.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to redo your kitchen, but extra money gives you more freedom. There are so many options out there – from what kind of toaster you have to what color paint you choose – that the kind of kitchen you want is totally up to you.